Friday, September 16, 2011

You can plan for a change in weather and time...

 ...But I never planned on you changing your mind

"Last Kiss"

I still remember the look on your face lit through the darkness at 1:58
The words that you whispered for just us to know
Told me you loved me so why did you go away? Away

I do recall now the smell of the rain fresh on the pavement
I ran off the plane that July 9th,
The beat of your heart it jumps through your shirt
I can still feel your arms

But now I'll go sit on the floor wearing your clothes
All that I know is that I don't know how to be something you miss
I never thought we'd have a last kiss, never imagined we'd end like this
Your name, forever the name on my lips

I do remember the swing of your step
The life of the party, you're showing off again
And I roll my eyes and then you pull me in
I'm not much for dancing but for you I did

Because I love your handshake, meeting my father
I love how you walk with your hands in your pockets
How you kissed me when I was in the middle of saying something
There's not a day when I don't miss those rude interruptions

But now I'll go sit on the floor wearing your clothes
All that I know is that I don't know how to be something you miss
Never thought we'd have a last kiss never imagined we'd end like this
Your name, forever the name on my lips

So I'll watch your life in pictures like I used to watch you sleep
And I feel you forget me like I used to feel you breathe
And I keep up with our old friends just to ask them how you are
Hope it's nice where you are

And I hope the sun shines and it's a beautiful day
And something reminds you that you wish you had stayed
You can plan for a change in weather and time but I never planned on you changing your mind

So I'll go sit on the floor wearing your clothes
All that I know is that I don't know how to be something you miss
Never thought we'd have a last kiss, never imagined we'd end like this
Your name, forever the name on my lips, just like our last kiss
Forever the name on my lips, forever the name on my lips
Just like our last kiss


Over the course of dating and relationships I have had experiences like the one described in the lyrics above.  I've found people I thought I would spend the rest of my life with, and yet those relationships haven't lasted.  Yet the relationships that I thought would never work often turn out to be the ones that last the longest. Isn't it strange how life has a way of changing things up on you and pulling the most unusual tricks?  And why is it that when life plays these strange tricks we always feel as if we've done something wrong?  As if it is our fault that things didn't work?  We find all the flaws in ourselves and tear ourselves down because of things out of our control, and in the end just end up damaging ourselves even more.


I don't think this was the way life was meant to be.  "Men [and women] are that they might have joy"  What happened to that?  Happiness is a choice.  We can't let past mistakes and regrets overwhelm us.  ESPECIALLY in relationships.  We have to keep moving forward.  We have to keep learning and growing and becoming better individuals.

We don't need to think about all the things that we can't control.  We don't need to think about all the things that have already happened.  We don't need to worry about the future so much that we forget to think about today.  We need to trust, and love, and become alive in the love of Christ.  We need to live each day as if it is our last, because it truly could be.  Life is so fragile.  We need to remember that.  We need to remember to make each day better than yesterday.



I found this song called "You Are More" by Tenth Avenue North and the song just hit me like a bag of bricks.  We really are more than we give ourselves credit for.  We are worth so much.  We need to remember who we are, where we came from and where we are headed.  Because when you know where you are going you will remember the way there.

1 comment:

  1. i love reading what you write. I hope all is well, and that your heart is full of happiness. Dont forget how awesome you are! Love you!

    ReplyDelete